More sailing, less expense and no maintenance.
Compared to owning, renting or chartering, membership costs much less, with total flexibility to use the boat for both longer trips and short daysails. Some members make a single, 17 day reservation, and sometimes keep the boat close to their office or home. Most members use a mix of half or full day weekends, and a few longer trips. It’s your choice.
Boat ownership is expensive, with the purchase price and/or finance payments a small part of the cost. Winter and summer dockage runs from $140 – $190 a foot, if you can find a slip, and you often must pay for a larger slip than needed. If you’re not handy or your time is limited, running expenses will cost far more than you can imagine. Insurance, upgrades and maintenance are around $2,000-$5,000/yr for a 20’-25′ sailboat, $5,000-$10,000 for a 25’-30′ sailboat and $8,000-$20,000 for 30’-40′ sailboat. Finally, boats depreciate, sometimes by very significant amounts. Many of our members eventually buy their own boats (and often use our expertise as brokers to help them make a good decision), and boat ownership can be a source of great pleasure. However, all our former member tell us they had no idea about what a great deal Sound Sailing was until they were owners! Having your own boat, set up exactly as you wish with all your gear ready to go, is a joy. Membership at Sound Sailing can help you decide if sailing is for you, and what boat size and type makes sense. Of course, many of our members are experienced sailors, and either did not use their yacht enough to justify it, or are tired of the maintenance and expense. Plus, they love the great boats we have!
We offer Daysailer and Yacht Memberships.
Daysailer memberships allow you to use our daysailers as often as you want for one year from when you sign up. Take your friends or family, or sail single-handed. When you have the boat reserved, it’s your boat. The principal restriction with Daysailer membership is that you may only have one four hour reservation outstanding at a time. This allows all members equal use of the boat. Since there are never more than seven members per boat, and six time slots per weekend, (9:00 am to 1:00 pm, 1:30 pm to 5:30 pm, and 6:00pm to sunset) you can easily sail as often as you wish. Many members sail over 20 times a year, and one of our female members sailed 52 times in a year! Members can keep on sailing if their boat is not reserved afterwards. Typical availability is over 90% for daysailers booked at least a day in advance. That’s why we have so many repeat members.
The following applies to Daysailer Memberships
- Members can cancel Daysailer reservations without penalty. Naturally, we, and the other members appreciate as much advance notice as possible. You must email us at SSCsailing@gmail.com to cancel your reservation.
- Daysailers may not be used if winds over 16 knots and/or gusts over 19 knots are forecast or if small craft warnings are issued by Noaa.
- Daysailer members may only have one reservation outstanding at a time.
Yacht Memberships are essentially a pre-purchase of two and a half weeks of boat use which you have one year to use as you wish. Your available balance is reduced as you use the boat. We have half and full day rates for weekdays and weekend days. Weekend days are in higher demand than week days and priced accordingly. Of course, if you mainly do half days, especially on weekdays, you will have far more than 17 uses.
Full day use runs up to 23 hours starting at 8:00 am or 2:00 pm. Half days run from 2:00 pm to 7:00 pm, or 8:00 am to 1:00 pm. Weekend rates start Friday at 2:00 pm and run till 7:00 pm Sunday. Availability in our program is far better than with our competitors, some of whom have (or had) 10 members per yacht. We never have more than eight members per yacht at Sound Sailing Center. In 2007, we had four new competitors within 20 miles. They are now all gone.
The following applies to all Yacht Memberships
- Half of any unused time can be added to next year’s membership balance ONLY if you renew within 30 days after the end of your membership. If you have $600 left over, your new membership will include $300 of the old membership amount. Almost all our costs are fixed (like interest, insurance and docking) and do not go down if you do not use the boat.
- Repeat members can pick their price, paying up to 30% less for the membership (and getting up to 30% less time) ONLY if you renew within 30 days after the end of your membership. There is a 10% charge on the credit for a custom membership. If you deduct $2k from your membership, you will pay an extra $200.
- Members can use any boat in the fleet less expensive than their membership boat. A one time $160 checkout fee will apply if they have not used the boat before. Members do not pay a check out fee for the boat in their class.
- Reservations can start a half day earlier or be extended by a half day for no charge if the boat is not reserved by another member. No-charge extensions must be made by calling SSC, and can only be made one day before the start of the trip.
- Yachts may not go out when small craft warnings are posted.
- Yacht Membership reservations can be cancelled for no charge within 24 hours of making the reservation. You must email us at SSCsailing@gmail.com to cancel your reservation. 24 hours after you book your reservation will be billed to your account unless another member takes the time you had reserved after you cancel. The sooner you cancel, the more likely another member will be to take over your time.
- Members receive a 10% discount on all Sound Sailing Center Classes.
The following applies to all Memberships
- Members must be onboard and in command for all their reservations.
- There is no charge for cancellations due to extensive rain (rainfall over a tenth of an inch per hour for over 20% of the time you have reserved), visibility under one mile, or small craft warnings being posted.
- Members are entitled to 10% off all SSC services such as classes. Members who renew within 30 days of the membership expiration pay 5% less.
- Members are entitled to free exchange privileges at the Boston Sailing Center on Boston Harbor. Additional sailing locations are in the works.
- There are no refunds of membership payments, however, memberships can be put on hold in the case of family emergencies for up to one year.
- If you cause any damage, come into contact with another boat (especially a non-SSC boat) or lose anything and do not let us know immediately, you will be charged 2x the cost to repair, and/or your deductible will be doubled.
- See our Membership Agreements for more details.